MY NEW BLOG: The Ciudadista: Life in the City

Saturday, August 21, 2004

on Babylon 5

In the last weeks I have been watching the DVD box sets of Babylon 5. I started to watch it because there is not much good to borrow from the video rental shop. Due to the 2004 Olympic Games, BBC World broadcast on TV ONE has discontinued until the end of the games. I Babylon 5 is a cure for my boredom and lack of watching anything good on television.

Initially, a few years ago, I thought Babylon 5 was an attempt to be like the Star Trek franchise. Now to me after watching up to the third season I realised that it is something different if not better.

I am so impressed by the quality of the script. It has a lot of thought provoking lines that applies directly to real life for example the line delivered by G'Kar. I shall try to add other worthy quotes from the series in future postings.

I agree that the show has fewer "techno speak" and it still revolves on characters.

Speaking of characters, they are well developed. They are not perfect and there are flaws in them which makes them more human than fictional.

If anyone is interested in science-fiction TV I think Babylon 5 is a good start.

"G'Quan wrote: 'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."

-Citizen G'Kar (Played by Andreas Katsulas)
-Babylon 5 Episode 322: "Z'ha'dum"

Source: Babylon 5 Quotes: Z'ha'dum

Babylon 5 is a creation of J. Michael Straczynski